Monday, April 1, 2013

Easterisms

It's past us now, but the recent 'holiday' made me wonder again about all the symbolism
associated with it.  In SS class, I asked the question, 'where did the word Easter come from?'.  The first answer I received was that Easter was in the bible.  Someone else began looking up the word Easter on their smartphone.  I did a quick search and found that only the KJV (and not even the NKJV) had the word in it.  Therefore, I concluded that the word was misinterpreted in the original KJV, whether intentionally or not.  Further research led me to understand that the word used was simply referring to the passover, which was being celebrated at the time when Jesus was crucified and resurrected.  There's one misconception shot down.  So where did the word come from?  What about the bunnies?  The eggs? All seem to be connected to pagan rituals or religions.  This in turn made me consider the wisdom of promoting 'easter egg hunts' at our church.  I know that scripture is put in the eggs, and the gospel is presented, etc.  But still...is it really appropriate?  I know the same can be said about Christmas, and Halloween, and maybe those should be addressed as well.  Believe me, I've had my awkward moments when directly questioned by my kids regarding the existence of Santa Claus.

I'm not usually one to be overly concerned about issues that appear to have their roots in paganism and that Christianity seems to have tried to reclaim.  But I'm wondering...is there something wrong with this picture we present to our kids about bunnies and easter and colored eggs?  Where is the logical, reasonable connection to Christianity, to the resurrection?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's worth examining - I wish we could convince everyone to drop the name and a lot of the stuff connected with it that are definitely not in the Bible at all - the same with some of the Christmas traditions and Thanksgiving and 4th of July.

    The main problem is these holidays have been so co-mingled that people think they're God's holidays and yet the way they're celebrated (and have been for a LONG time - not even going to try and argue from the beginnings of each one), but the way they're celebrated mixes so many secular ideas/symbols that just shouldn't be there.

    Don't get me wrong, as an American I love the 4th of July. But I am a Christian, and my one and only allegiance should be to Jesus and His Kingdom which is not of this earth - it transcends every tongue, tribe and nation...it flows through every manmade boundary line of nations and socio-economic classes...it even overcomes all other differences we may have with one another, whether male or female, Jew or Gentile, slave or free, and on and on.

    If my allegiance is only to Jesus, how does the 4th of July being placed on such a lofty pedestal in the church make sense? I've seen many churches where it sure seemed more honored than even God is...

    I don't know, that's my brain droppings...it's not even well thought out so don't hold me to it, but I have to get it out there to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it should be examined and thought about a little bit at least.

    I would say we have an allegiance to country also - though not one that supersedes our allegiance to Christ. Christ said render to Caesar what is Caesars, and Paul says that all authority is from God and to obey and pray for government.

    However, if the law of the land comes in conflict with God's law, we should follow God as the Hebrew midwives and the apostles did.

    To me, one interesting aspect of your 4th of July comment is the imagery of the flag. Should the American flag have equal standing with the Christian flag? Many churches display them both, and many times at equal heights. What is the message there? Should an American flag even be in a church sanctuary to begin with? Is that a co-mingling of church and state?

    ReplyDelete