Monday, April 16, 2012

Racist Country?

I have posted a few things questioning racism in America.
It's an interesting topic to me, and I think one worth exploring.
I ran across this statement by conservative talk-show host Dennis Prager today.  I've heard him a few times on the radio and he seems to be an articulate intellectual.
Tell me what you think.

"In light of the tragic killing of black teenager Trayvon Martin -- and the manufactured hysteria surrounding it -- one thing needs to be stated as clearly and as often as possible: The United States is the least racist and least xenophobic country in the world.  Foreigners of every race, ethnicity, and religion know this.  Most Americans suspect this.  Most black Americans and the entire left deny this.  Black Africans know this.  That is why so many seek to live in the United States.  Decades ago, the number of black Africans who had immigrated to the United States had already surpassed the number of black Africans who were forcibly shipped to America as slaves. ... The left-wing drumbeat about America as racist is a combination of politics and black memory.  The political aspect is this: The Democrats and the left recognize that if blacks cease viewing themselves as victims of racism, the Democratic Party can no longer offer itself as black America's savior." --radio talk-show host Dennis Prager

Personally, I agree that there seemed to be mass hysteria generated by this event.  It was a terrible event that occurred.  But prior to all of facts coming out, many people were in a feeding frenzy over it - and demanding a conviction.  A conviction did occur, and I'll trust that it was the correct outcome.  But judging the issue prior to a trial is what the 'lynch mobs' of the past were all about.  I kept wondering, as I heard people interviewed - How can you march in the street about an issue you don't even have all the facts on?  It's also well-known that America has been a melting pot of many colors and cultures since its inception.  I don't think racism will ever be totally dead, just like I don't think hatred will ever be totally dead.  But do we make more of it than we should?  Maybe we should be celebrating our successes more often than complaining about our failures.  Is politics one of the primary supporters and promoters of racism? 

No comments:

Post a Comment