Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Spirit

For the sake of foundational primacy, I will need to start with a spiritual post.  What is your spiritual awareness?  Do you think about 'spiritual realities' on a regular basis, or at all?  To some, that phrase is an oxymoron.  To others, the spiritual is 'more real' than the physical.  The bible says that God is spirit.  The first definition found on dictionary.com when searching for the word 'spirit' is:  1.  the principle of conscious life, the vital principle in humans animating the body or mediating between body and soul.  That last part is intriguing to me.  Based on that definition, I am 3 parts:  body, spirit and soul, with my spirit mediating between body and soul.  

Have you ever talked to yourself?  I've actually had some serious conversations with myself before.  During one of these conversations, this thought occurred to me:  who am I talking to?  And if it's 'me' that's being talked to, who's doing the talking?  Is our spirit a separate entity from our soul.  Maybe we could define 'soul' as being that part of us which is mind (as related to, but different than, the brain), will (or volition), and emotion.  How does the spirit factor in?  If you're a computer guy, you could think of the body as the hardware, the soul as the software and the spirit as...the electricity?  

I'm not really answering many questions here.  I just want to stimulate some conversation.  
Do some soul-searching and then tell me:  What Do You Think?

1 comment:

  1. I love the computer references, I think that really fits. Because when you think of someone who has become distant from God or has gone through a rough time, perhaps the electricity is not working as well as it used to. I'm so glad you started a blog, I think you have some really great thoughts here! I'm also glad I'm not the only one that has whole conversations with myself :)

    ReplyDelete